27 September 2004

will it never end?

I hate my teeth. I hated them when I was a teen because they were crooked and wonky and required orthodontics -- retainers and braces for a total of 6 years. Now I hate them because I have weak enamel, weak gums, and weak roots. I have had 3 root canals (one abscessed and was extracted) and more fillings than I can count.

Now, I am in a whole boatload of pain thanks to my latest gum infection, or whatever it is. Basically, it is a big swollen throbbing lump over one of my crowned teeth (a root canal from a few years back). I started noticing sensitivity in the area (upper left 3rd molar) while I was getting my most recent root canal crowned, just a few weeks ago. I mentioned it, but the dentist suggested it was likely reflected pain from the recovering lower teeth. After spending most of last week suffering from a head cold, on Friday I started to notice real pangs of pain coming from that tooth. I flossed and brushed and brushed and flossed and swished Listerine with fluoride... but alas, too late. By Saturday night I was having trouble chewing food, and yesterday, I went in to work, but bailed after only two and a half hours thanks to the constant pain that even Tylenol-3's couldn't alleviate. Needless to say, last night was not fun.

I get to see the dentist (not my regular dentist but the other dentist in the office) this afternoon. So, this morning, I am going to eat some soft foods... maybe even just a smoothie or two.

No comments: