10 September 2004

feeling heavy...

Even though the scale tells me I am indeed losing weight (6 lbs and counting) and my clothes are starting to fit better (some are even loose!), I still feel heavy and subsequently unhappy. Some of the weight I'm feeling isn't even physical. I am back to fulltime hours now, and since I didn't get promoted, I am feeling really weighed down by my job. I was ready for a change, and then denied the opportunity.

There is another opening right now, in a branch unit of the library, which is day shift, Monday to Friday (but under review). It is a really small unit which has recently suffered some unkind staffing cuts, and historically, the unit has always done things "a little differently." I can't quite imagine myself doing the work there, though... so maybe that tells me something. Since I ignored the Cards to my peril last time, I thought I would ask again. I chose a two paths reading with the Rider-Waite deck and asked "should I try again?" ... wanting some clarification, I chose a three fates reading with the Blake deck and asked "what if I just stay put?" Really interesting.

So tell me, should I stay put or should I give it a shot?

(I'll post my interpretation of the readings as a comment after I have pondered some more...)

3 comments:

Christopher said...

congratulations on the weight loss :)

For what it's worth, my advice is to follow your instincts on the job front...

Tim Bailey said...

What have you got to lose? I mean, about the job. Honestly, if you know you're going to want to move from your position eventually, you might as well try for other ones that interest you as they come up.

I can't offer much insight into the Tarot, though the cards sure look menacing. Maybe they should get Disney to do a series; They might not scare me so much. Wait a minute! What am I saying?

Unknown said...

My instincts for the job right now, are telling me I should give it a miss. I think I need to refocus on the job I have, as it hasn't had my full attention for the better part of a year...

As for what I have to lose, it is quite a bit really. Financially I'd lose the shift differential payment I receive for working the godawful evening shift (even the pay raise won't completely cover the difference); I'd lose one-on-one time with my kid, who would have to go to daycare; I'd lose the freedom of having Fridays off... though I would gain Sundays off... I'd also lose the ability to blog at work, in between other tasks... and the ability to pass-the-buck since I'd be a supervisor.

And then there are those pesky cards... which I try hard not to give heed, but have been right on the money almost every time, whether I pay attention to them or not.