29 September 2004

Spa with a twist

I have to thank the Daily Show (last night's show) for this oddity. The Elk Mountain Resort, which is a typically high-end resort and spa, includes on site a terrorist defence training facility. Actually, if you look through the Elk Mountain site, it is tough to find, since the facility they use has another name: the Valhalla Shooting Club. Go to their site, however, and you can see the scenario house -- set up for folks to practice taking out the baddies in jumbo jets, convenience stores, or even your own living room.

3 comments:

Sarcasmo said...

I find myself both repelled and fascinated (in a "I'd kind of like to try it" way) by this.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the piece ended with correspondent Rob Corddry in his plush resort bed with the goose-down duvet pulled up to his chin and his eyes darting madly around the room after a long day of defence training and gunplay.

I can sort of understand the thinking behind it, but in reality I fear that it would scare the hell out of half the participants and make vigilantes out of the rest.

Tim Bailey said...

Private citizens feel they have to train themselves just to keep from being killed for being American. When I have to carry a gun just because I'm a Canadian -- I'll be moving to New Zealand.