19 September 2004

cat update and kumbaya-land.

Sierra had her "drain" removed on Friday and by all accounts has healed nicely. As soon as I brought her in the house, Max tried to attack the cat carrier -- bastard -- because he realized he hadn't actually "won." So, for Friday night and Saturday morning, we confined Max to the office. Yesterday afternoon, we let him out, and so far the cats have been OK. So, we may put off finding a home for Max... at least we aren't in a panic about it.

***

When I took the kid to her regular playgroup on Friday, the group took an unwelcome turn to kumbaya-land. For the past year, I was very happy with the group because there were several kids her age; it was a small group (usually no more than 5 or 6 kids); and the parents were mostly laisez-faire like me (it's playgroup! the kids are supposed to play with each other, not with their parents!). Now though, I guess because it is a new school year, the kids her age are in preschool, and a new leader has taken over. The place was packed (i.e. over a dozen kids), most of the kids were smaller, and their parents were constantly shadowing/coddling them. Gah. Worst though, was that in the last 15 minutes, they moved the toys aside and gathered round for "circle time," singing "The more we get together.." (barf). I herded the kid into her coat and we left. So now I need to investigate other playgroups.

1 comment:

Tim Bailey said...

Two subjects, two comments:

Sierra v. Max -- It's just a matter of time. Cats do not bury grudges. Max is like Mike -- you can expect he's secreting rat poison away somewhere to use at some point. ;)

***

Circle time, from what I recall from my mother's career in child care, is meat-and-potatoes. It's the ISO 10000 standard for teaching kids how to shut up and listen to an authority figure. "The more we get together..." I'm assuming, ended "the easier we are to control." If you're really interested in bucking pedagogical trends and assumptions, this is just the thin end of the wedge, I'm afraid.