16 September 2004

Enid's hair

The other thing my Mom said when she saw my new 'do was "Why on earth would you want to go darker?" Well, somewhere in the back of my mind was the image of Enid from Ghost World as portrayed by Thora Birch. I like that whole angry/alt-culture/intelligent/literate look and attitude. Probably the same movie had me thinking "blue hair would be fun."

Thora, btw is seriously hot with dark hair. And yeah, she's young (just 18 when Ghost World was released in 2000) but that doesn't make her less hot. It just makes me seem kinda creepy for thinking that. Imagine what was going through Steve Buscemi's head, then, during this scene (don't click if you haven't seen the movie!).

And if you haven't seen Ghost World, go rent it. It is one part coming-of-age teen flick, one part romance, one part quirkyalone**. It has indie cred all over it, and the performances are fabulous. It also makes a great double feature with High Fidelity.

[** quirkyalone (KWUR.kee.uh.lohn) n. A person who enjoys being single and so prefers to wait for the right person to come along rather than dating indiscriminately. (definition from Wordspy) Find out if you are quirkyalone. Even though I am married, I scored 99/100.]

[EDIT: apparently the quirkyalone score is not /100, but 99 was "very quirkyalone"]

1 comment:

Tim Bailey said...

My score was 108, not surprisingly. Apparently, quirkyalones are a prdominantly female designation, and I have to make do with Odysseus. WTF? Odysseus wasn't alone, or particularly quirky: he was freaking tortured by the gods! He was married and had kids, for chrissakes! I guess maybe he might have gotten to kind of like it near the end, but still.

Anyhow, I read the main page there, and I think perhaps there's another screed coming on. :D There's a Rilke quote used out of context, for a start!