16 October 2005

Local soap not so sudsy.

Ouch. I just watched the primiere episode of Mile Zero, a soap opera set and filmed in Victoria BC. (I did mention this a while ago in passing and pondered it's need for existence.)

You'll be glad to know I didn't stab myself in the eyes or ears, but that's not to say I wasn't tempted. I am all for having Canadian-produced television (yeah, I've ranted about that too) but this effort looks really amateur. Here's what I found most frustrating:

1. Victoria manages to put on some really good theatrical productions, so in theory, there should be a great group of actors to draw from. Of course maybe some stage actors can't act as well when they are on camera... or maybe they hired from the film star wannabe pool. A couple of the actors held their ground and delivered the lines as best they could; most though, were alarmingly wooden.

2. Considering the number of musicians in Victoria ranging from professionals to buskers, why oh why couldn't the producers find someone to add a few notes of incidental music on the soundtrack? They made a big deal out of finding a theme song so why not spring for some background music?

3. I realize that the crew is still finding its footing, but there were some serious errors in blocking and direction -- unless they were trying to be edgy, in which case, they failed.

The pilots are running on Shaw TV (local cable 11) locally and on KVOS, out of Bellingham later in November. Episode 2 airs next weekend and I'll be taping it so I can analyze it more accurately. Stay tuned, I guess.

1 comment:

Shawn DeWolfe said...

It was almost the worst thing I had ever seen. I am now more torn about not attending the premiere gala. A) I would have wasted my time and money; B) It would have been fun to see the jaw drops and spittle drip from shocked and saddened maws of those in attendance.