24 October 2005

Gris Grimly : Wicked Illustrator

I just slapped up a review for Edgar Allen Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness illustrated by Gris Grimly which I borrowed from the library but will likely be purchasing after Christmas if it's not under the tree. In short it's fabulous. I just keep flipping through the pages again and again.

In writing the review, I tracked down Grimly's website: MadCreator.com, itself a fun feast for the eyes. His list of influences is varied and yet I found myself ticking them off one by one, "yes, yes, naturally, of course, yes, yes..." I was familiar with or a fan of the work of all his influences (aside from a few which I will now research!), hence it is no surprise I am now a Grimly fan.

Once I get the Poe book, I will start tracking down other books Grimly has written and illustrated.

***

On a slight tangent, I must get a copy of Ray Harryhausen: The Early Years two-disc set! This guy is an animation pioneer/super-hero and he's still around to host a retrospective!

No comments: