20 October 2005

Chaos and Calm

CHAOS... For the last few days, our well-planned days have been going off the rails onto entirely different tracks at times... and we have been collectively pretty busy.

Last night we threw everything into chaos when hubby and I decided we actually did want to go to Cinecenta to see 2046. (Turns out that was a mistake.)

fall_fair_fashionsToday things generally went as planned, but that include kiddo's Fall Fun Fair at school (since she is in an independent school, she's not affected by the current BCTF dispute) which, if you've ever been to a kids' fun fair in a school you'll know, included plenty of chaos.

With some beginners' luck, kiddo won a cake in the cake walk -- first try! She also tried her hand at bowling, ring toss, pin the nose on the pumpkin, got her face painted, and took a turn in the "fashion forum" -- a big dress-up tent with a runway at the end.

Now she is sleeping peacefully (after chowing down a big hunk of the cake walk winnings) and I have been half-watching CSI, catching up on blogging, news, email, and enjoying a very big mug of decaf.


CALM... Tomorrow is a day off -- kiddo has a day off school too -- so the plan is a lazy morning followed by some Halloween costume shopping. Kiddo wants to be Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas! Can you believe it? Teee Heee! I haven't yet decided what I want to be. Hubby will be working on his costume this weekend.

3 comments:

Mrs Robot said...

What's a "cake walk"?

Unknown said...

Huh. I figured it was a Commonwealth thing. I'm sure I took part in them in the UK.

Anyway... a cake walk is a lot like musical chairs. There is a circle of numbers (indeed sometimes on chairs). Music goes on and people walk around, music stops and people stop on a number. The caller then pulls a random number from a hat (or spins a wheel, or what have you) and the person on that number wins a cake.

Now you know, I've just done a websearch for cake walk history, and it seems it might have a darker past... so I'll do a full post.

Shawn DeWolfe said...

I have a new passtime that will combine the fun of a cakewalk with another schoolyard exercise. I call it: Cakedodge. People save half of their birthday cake and leave it on the back porch. Three months later, take the cake with you to a place with people.
Yell, "Cake dodge!" Count to three then hurl the cake into the crowd like an ill balanced Frisbee.
I think it will be the next big thing. That's why I've just registered www.cakedodge.com. Stay tuned for rules.