05 October 2005

Wanted: Mugshot

If I were ever to commit some awful crime, and police were looking for me, it might be helpful to know what a police sketch might look like. For many years, police have been using products like the Identi-Kit (a mix-and-match jigsaw puzzle kit of standad features) or sketch artists to help witnesses identify suspects. Identi-Kit now offers a software version of the kit and is one of several such programs available.

Naturally, these police tools are not available for you and me to use, but Ultimate Flash Face v0.42b (UFF.42) will give you the experience you crave. Unfortunately, UFF does not allow the user to move eyes closer together or further apart and there aren't too many choices for some features (glasses, especially were wildly out of style, with only one small-frame pair to select). Still, here's what I came up with (compared to me, on the right):



Which is not that great (the eyebrows are really wrong and the spacing of my features is off just enough to be creepy rather than accurate) but, if it was on a wanted poster, you might be able to identify me. Feel free to play around with UFF, and if you get a better wanted shot of me, please *don't* save it to their server, but do send me a copy or post it in the comments.

3 comments:

Mrs Robot said...

Hey, you wear the same glasses as me.

I found the hair particularly problematic; the choices aren't that broad. And I look rather worried in mine, which I guess I would be if I was being Indentikitted.

Mrs Robot said...

OK, here's my attempt. Apologies for any offence given -- bare in mind how little I had to work with. :)

This little exercise has brought two things of interest to mind: firstly, I couldn't help but notice the number of shifty-looking features available to choose from. Quite hilariously so, actually. I wonder if it's the artist's idea of what constitutes someone worth identikitting, or if that's the kind of features someone attributes to an alleged criminal, so the ones available are the most common choices.

The second thing is how different our view of ourselves is to that of others' view of us. The portraits of you we've both done bare little resemblance to each other apart from the hair and glasses. I was only working from a photograph and memory, too, I suppose.

Unknown said...

Hmm, your attempt is much prettier than mine. :) I found the biggest drawback was the generic round/square face.