06 January 2005

snif-snort-=hack=-wheeze.

Yep, I'm officially "sick" again. With what seems to be a base model sinus cold. I dragged myself into work tonight even though the weather people have been threatening snow.** When I got here, I found that my supervisor had already called in, making me "senior staff" for the night (we close at 11, so I'm "in charge" after 6:00). Luckily they managed to find an extra body for the last part of the shift, so I'll be able to sit and direct people and hopefully not have to do too much on-desk "public interaction" stuff.

On the home front, the child again proved herself to be a right stubborn brat, her excuse for not running off to the potty being "but I was eating." I lost my temper at her and after a level 2 decontamination, confined her to her room with no TV. Naturally, she opted for an anger-induced nap. [Reports from hubby indicate that after she was left in his care, she upped the ante with a series of tantrums in his workplace.] If these incidents were not tempered by "cutest-kid-in-the-world" stunts, we would be considering boarding school, possibly military.


**Snow in our fair city is rare. We usually don't get more than a few inches, and it rarely sticks around for more than 3 days. Back in '96 we had a helluva snowstorm that shut down the city for a couple of days (see, we had just sold all our snowplows...). But even with just a hint of snow, it's so rare that 95% of the people on the road (including many city transit and cab drivers) don't have the first clue how to drive in the stuff***. So threats of snow are taken very seriously.

***Alas, technically I am in that 95%, but I will keep my distance, drive below the speed limit and just try to get home in one piece. The other options were an expensive ($20) cab ride or a tedious ($2) 45 to 60 minute bus commute (with a 10-25 minute "transfer" after 11 pm in my choice of crap neighbourhoods).

No comments: