18 January 2005

OoooOooh. Pret-ty.

In the Apple vs. PC world, I am still on the fence. The first computer our family owned was an "Apco II+" -- a knock-off that landed somewhere between the Apple ][ and the Apple ][e. I learned Basic to program that sucker, and joined the computer club at school in grade 9. (You didn't realize my geek roots went that deep, did you?) I got an A+ in the first "Computer Science" class ever offered by our school; it was taught by one of the gym teachers -- probably because he was the youngest teacher on staff -- who was basically giving us assignments and then learning from us.

When we upgraded, we bought a PC desktop unit -- another clone -- that ran DOS and that was "good enough for us." My first purchase was also a PC. I think it might have been a 386. At work, we were as likely to be given a Mac as anything else, and I learned to be ambi-platform. Now we have a curious mixture of desktop PC, "classic" iMacs and HP thin clients -- and they don't exactly play well with one another.

At home, I still use PCs, though I will admit to Apple envy -- especially when I am considering anything in the multimedia editing world, or just looking at the amazing design. I mean, look at the Apple - Mac mini; it is a marvel. Not just because of what's packed into the little box, or its price, but just the fluid lines and clean sci-fi/world-of-tomorrow look.

I love that kind of sexy design. Reading glossy quasi-academic art or architecture journals (like Flash Art and Architectural Design) is one of my favourite passtimes in the library. It's oddly also what I love(d) about Tupperware... but that's another tale.

No comments: