05 January 2005

New year, same size.

I had been avoiding stepping on the scale for many days as I waded through platter after platter of holiday treats... Worse in fact, were the few days of non-social cave-dwelling days that hubby and I indulged in where I was bad [slaps self on wrist], allowing myself to eat chips and other fat/salty snacks right from the bag! (Hell, even allowing them to be in the house was a no-no as they are oh-so-tempting!)

Anyway, as you may have guessed by the title of this entry, I managed to maintain my weight at my pre-holiday level. This, to me, is no small feat! And so I return to the fat/sugar/calorie-consciousness** I had begun last summer in hopes of reducing another 25 lbs from my frame before my birthday (which is June 30th in case you wanted to know). I suspect that some of my habits have become such that I was subconsciously being careful about what I picked off platters -- and if so, that's very good news.

**Basically all I have done is to reduce my calorie intake to about 1800 per day (give or take 200). In doing so, I have made every effort to increase my intake of good calories (especially fruit and veg) reduce fat, and reduce sugar. I have not cut back my coffee consumption, though I have cut back on the pollutants (sugar and cream; often replaced by 2% milk and/or artificial sweetener). I refuse to eliminate anything absolutely (so don't even try to start that argument) though I can avoid a lot more than I thought.

For the new year, hubby and I are concentrating on avoiding convenience foods -- for financial as well as health reasons. We have done pretty well on the fast food front (sure we still crave and cave to the odd burger, but we don't eat at the drive through 6 or 8 times a month (!!)). Unfortunately, we still spend way too much on prepared foods like sushi or salad rolls which we can make much more economically ourselves.

Hubby is a good cook, so eating at home (or even eating home-prepped food) is not an issue. In fact he's good enough to consider applying to be Canada's next Superstar Chef. (OoooH! Could reality TV come to our house in 2005?)

4 comments:

carrie said...

Congrats on the non-weight gain! I too managed to make it through the holidays (including my week off) without gaining any weight. How, I'll never know. :)

I still have about 40 lbs to lose to make my "intermediate" goal, where I won't feel so much like a fat cow, and another 20 beyond that to reach my "hot mama in a bikini" goal.

I wish you the best of luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I never expect to be "hot mama in a bikini" (though I would accept "curvaceous babe in a one-piece"). My intermediate goal (the next 25 lbs) will take me to a comfortable-with-myself weight. My ultimate goal is 50 lbs away which is roughly my weight the last time I was active and healthy (when I was cycling) though by "the books" that will still be "overweight." I can't imagine ever being my "appropriate" weight for my height, since I think I passed that number back in grade 10.

carrie said...

I don't know how anyone can be the correct weight for their height based on the current standards. Check this post from my blog a few months back. See how many celebrities and sports figures are "overweight" or "obese"? It's disgusting.

If Brad Pitt is overweight, almost obese, then I must be off the scale entirely. :)

Unknown said...

Carrie, thanks for that link. Those are freaky numbers. I have been classed as "obese" on the BMI for many many years; I don't pay it no heed! I actually left one doctor because she was so obsessed with my alleged "obesity" that she wanted to put me on Prozac to control it(!!) and that was during the time I was at my healthiest, with cycling as my primary mode of transport, often 2 hrs a day. =Shrug=