17 January 2005

Bagless Haggis

Along with Free Robbie Burns Day E-cards [January 25th] this page includes a recipe for "Bagless" Haggis. If you didn't already know, Haggis is traditionally cooked in a sheep's stomach [gak] but modern variations abound -- even vegetarian. If you're serving haggis, you'll need to read Burns' "To A Haggis" (the link also includes a RealAudio recording of the poem).

Need more haggis in your life? Check the webcams at the Haggis Hunt 2004/05. Spot the haggis, win prizes!

1 comment:

Mrs Robot said...

I grew up around my Scottish grandmother, and I recall my horror as I read a haggis recipe in one of her old cookbooks. I was pleased to note that one of the recipes you linked to had the most stomach-churning step of all:

"Boil the lung, liver and heart until tender. While you are doing this, put the windpipe over the edge of the pot, draining into another receptacle."

I think perhaps this lead to the popularity of whiskey.