30 July 2005

DEA meddling in Canada

Whether or not Marc Emery (a.k.a. "Prince of Pot") is guilty of traffiking, or any other offense, I really object to the RCMP acting like lap dogs for the US DEA.

Uncle Sam orchestrates Vancouver pot busts [Vancouver Sun]

The search was requested by the U.S. government through the Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Act, a federal law administered by the Department of Justice.

The warrant was authorized Thursday in B.C.'s Supreme Court, based on an affidavit provided by a Vancouver police officer.

U.S. authorities say the warrant was the result of an 18-month investigation of Emery's international seed-selling business.


This follows closely on the heels of the "drug tunnel" discovered just a week ago, which was heralded as a "coordinated investigation" -- but now I am not so sure.

I would like to think that our country can identify and solve its own problems. That said, if Interpol had ordered the raid, I'd be a lot more likely to accept it. My back gets up watching the US government interfere around the globe, but in my own back yard? Well, that sets my teeth on edge and then some.

No comments: