14 December 2004

lowered expectations

My kid seems to have different expectations for each parent and apparently I'm the "special" one (and I mean that in a Special Olympics kinda way).

Hubby complains because if he lays down on the sofa and closes his eyes, the kid does everything in her power (from holding an electronic game to his ear to grabbing his wrist with fingernails dug in) to make sure he gives her 100% of his attention. On the other hand, when I try to engage her, she often waves me off or tells me outright to "Go away now" or to leave her alone.

So either she doesn't expect much from me or she is a night owl, only awake and interactive on hubby's watch. Either way, it's not fair to either of us and doesn't bode well for homeschooling.

2 comments:

Stallionforce said...

chocolates

Christopher said...

When my kids were pre-schoolers, I used to play "build a mountain on Daddy" with them. It involved me laying on the bed very still and quiet, and the kids dragging all the clothes and blankets from the closet and piling them up on top of me, them climbing their mountain and sliding off it - all while I lay there under the mountain...undisturbed

;)