31 December 2004

Adios 2004

It was an interesting year.

January: started the year very stressed but amid praise (or at least kind words) from coworkers
February: returned to working my "regular job" albeit with a bumpy landing
March: celebrated our daughter's 3rd birthday; bought a van!
April: had a root canal; started reduced work week (23 hrs/week) for the summer months
May: started this blog; saw a sad and pathetic circus
June: voted (Provincially); attended the CLA/BCLA conference; turned 35!
July: endured some horribly hot weather; got a lot of mileage out of my container garden.
August: didn't get the promotion I'd hoped for; started my journey to better health (and weight loss); had more dental work.
September: returned to fulltime work; had my hair dyed black; spent an unholy amount in vet fees for one of our cats.
October: celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary; started our New-Comic-Book-Day family tradition; saw the lunar eclipse.
November: can you believe it? more dental work (endodontics); watched with the rest of the world as the US re-elected George Bush Jr.; home reno #1 saw us give the bathroom a minor facelift.
December: finally finished the Dr. Who Scarf I knit for hubby; got crafty for Christmas; reached the halfway mark in my initial weight-loss goal.

Overall, I'm not proud of the way I reacted to missing out on the promotion; that was probably the low point in my year. The high point? Not sure if there was one per se, but starting and finishing the scarf (to date the only knitting project I have completed), watching our daughter learn and grow, buying the van (first time I had set foot on a car lot with any intention of buying), and losing 25 lbs. were all milestones in the year. The moral lesson for my year?

Nothing is guaranteed; nothing is certain;
everything is negotiable and everything is relative.

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, so you won't find any here. But just to satisfy the list-makers, here's an even ten goals (not in any significant order), I will:

finish the His Dark Designs trilogy (damn, that is taking me too long!)
make every effort to change jobs within the library.
read one book off my "to be read" stack for every library book I read.
start reviewing movies again.
lose another 25 lbs.
try to be a calmer driver.
try not to yell at the newscasters through the TV.
do more yoga and work on my deep breathing control.
spend more time interacting with my kid
not attempt to live up to anyone's expectations but my own.

Happy 2005 to all of you. Thanks for sticking around for the ride so far.

3 comments:

Sangeeta said...

Happy New Year to u too!!
May this year be better than the last

carrie said...

Happy New Year. May 2005 be better for all of us collectively. We sure need it. :)

Sarcasmo said...

Happy new year, Cheryl.

I look forward to seeing what 2005 will bring.