16 December 2004

Back to the drawing board

I have no issues with body mods or creative solutions to eyewear, but this particular invention (by a Texan) seems like too much of a first draft to be getting any press. Pierced Eyeglasses [via bmezine] are really just lenses which are mounted on a bridge piercing. According to the creator, he is able to sleep and shower in them, which is good because
Taking them on and off is a bit of a hassle, as it involves taking a tiny screwdriver and unscrewing them while they’re on my face — about a 5 to 10 minute process

If I understand the design (see the photos in the article), that still leaves the brackets attached to the barbell, so to remove them might take a couple more minutes of fiddling. This is where I would turn back to the drawing board, to make them easier to remove or reposition. (Thanks to Amanita for posting about them.)

1 comment:

Mrs Robot said...

Where on earth do you find this crap?!

I'm all for lateral thinking in design, but I lean towards function over form, myself.

If he showers in them I just hope they're easy to clean in situ as well, because water on your specs makes a damn mess; visibility's not too flash when they're wet, either, so you'd need to be clear on which is the shampoo and which is the conditioner before you turn the water on. And what about those nasty nose-prints left on your lenses when in receipt of a kiss? And if your piercing isn't entirely straight you'll permanently have that comical IQ-lowering wonky specs look.

Hmmm... 10 out of 10 for creativity, but I think I'll be sticking with my dull old over-the-ear model for now.