20 December 2005

Little Red Hoax?

Apparently I've been duped. I'm not the only one, but perhaps before I get all bent out of shape about alleged raids by DHS agents, I'll read the article with a little more care. In fact, I might want to wait until more than one source reports the story.

First, John McAdams commented on my post with his concerns, then I read that Jessamyn West was critical of the story. Aside from the fact that the student isn't named (which raised my eyebrow) there is the fact that the library in question does not require a Social Insurance Number for interlibrary loan (which, now that I think about it would be very unlikely at any library) and the Little Red Book is widely available -- from the corner book shop to online book behemoth Amazon.com. The only question is whether or not the authorized Peking edition (reportedly the one requested) is of more interest to DHS than the translations more readily available.

At any rate, I will try to be a little less gullible in the future. Sorry if I raised anyone's hackles.

No comments: