23 October 2004

New Comics

This week Hubby and I "shared" our new comics (we're trying to stay at about $15 per week remember) which allowed us to buy the first 3 issues of the Books of Magick: Life in Wartime series. They caught my eye and since Hubby still had his hands empty after 20 minutes of browsing, I suggested we give them a try (he had also picked them up during his browsing). Anyway, I didn't realize at first that these are the latest spin-off of a substantial series, but what the heck. They are based on a character created by Neil Gaiman, and since I have read some of his books, I figured what the heck, why not? Of course, then I turned to about page 5 and there was a very graphic graphic of an evisceration. So that image will be lodged in my temporal lobe for some time. But, on I shall read.... hopefully I won't be missing too much without having read the rest of the series.

The kid, in case you are curious, bought a nice "evisceration-lite" Donald Duck comic.

Incidentally, while we were in the store, it was stormed by a small herd (is there a collective noun for geeks?) of teenage boys who all complained of having no cash -- except one kid, who got $100 once a month. So (as far as I could figure) all the other kids were trying to get him to buy something they could all read, which led to his being pulled in four different directions of "hey, check this out!", "dude! this series rocks!", "Whoa! Look at her!" and "Heheh. This is soo lame, you have to buy it." Oddly, the guy was wiser than his herd, and chose to ask the clerk for suggestions. He chose one graphic novel and earmarked another for next month.

No comments: