26 October 2004

Grumpy Old Man run-in

I've calmed down now... but earlier, I was waiting at the bus stop with my kid who was overjoyed to find a big pile of leaves to jump in. No sooner was she knee-deep in maple leaves did this grumpy old man walk up and start lecturing me about letting my kid strew leaves about! I asked if he was serious (because jumping in leaves is like a rite of passage -- and in an urban setting, it's harder to come by!) He continued, explaining that he pays "good taxes to have the leaves raked to the side of the road.... (grumble mumble mumble)..."

Incredulous, I said "You've got to be kidding! She's just playing. No one is getting hurt." He asked if she had any toys, and I said "Your point being?" to which he says "You should be teachin' her better." At which point I very directly told him to "Go to Hell."

He stood there a moment, then jay-walked across the busy street, and I thought wouldn't it just be my luck to witness him get creamed by a truck. Alas, he survived.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heh. Well I told Hubby about it on the way home, and when we parked he said "excuse me," and wandered out to the bus stop to kick all the leaves about. He repeated the exercise the next morning.

The city has now removed the leaves.