29 October 2004

Before the fun, some frustration.

I try, I realllly try sometimes, to give humankind the benefit of the doubt. But then I overhear a conversation like I did today. I'm on the bus with my kid, heading off to meet hubby en route to New Comic Book Day.... and this guy, who is loud, and who has been saying hello to every other person who gets on the bus, suddenly gets asked a question, "Hey, where are you going now?"

His answer started with a humble "Oh, Open Door," continuing, "and I guess Upper Room for dinner," two local soup kitchens (for lack of a better term). Then, he says, "But I think tonight I'll go to the UVic Bar, and talk to some women." Ohhhh-kayyy. I'm fine until he says, "Yeah, I've been doing a lot of landscaping so I've got a lot of money in my wallet, so I figure I can afford the extra beers." Inside, I am SCREAMING to myself, "Yeah, because you're not spending money on FOOD, moron!"

So tell me, how do I explain that mindset to my kid... or shield her from it? How can I raise her to give the benefit of the doubt, to have an ounce of trust, when mine is constantly being tested and eroded?

***

In happier news, New Comic Book Day has brought into our home Books of Magic: Life During Wartime #4 (for both of us), Doom Patrol #3 (for hubby), The Witching #1-2 (for me) and Mickey Mouse #268 -- destined to become a classic I am sure (for the kid).

No comments: