14 October 2004

Dream a little dream?

Is it possible (or maybe inevitable) that married/committed couples start to have similar dreams when they share a bed? Or are we really a starter Borg hive?

Forgive me, but it is 6:30 in the morning, and I got up 45 minutes ago to find hubby already up, showered, and cooking breakfast (about half an hour earlier than usual). I asked why he was up so early and he said he "must have dreamt his alarm went off" because he woke up as if it had, though he was early and out of sync with his schedule. This seemed odd, because I woke up early having felt as though I was disturbed by his alarm. (My actual foggy memory/dream is of the alarm going off for a long time -- long enough for me to raise my head and say "What the f---, hon?" followed by a sarcastic "Thank you." when the alarm was silenced.) I just checked his alarm and it is still set for the same time it always goes off.

So, did we both dream of alarms? Or was there some paranormal time warp? I started searching for "same dream different people" and found the concept of dream telepathy or mutual dreaming.

Studies of dream telepathy and other paranormal dreaming (e.g. lucid dreaming) have been going on for decades. One 1985 study concluded "What is clear is that the tendency toward hits rather than misses cannot reasonably be ascribed to chance. There is some systematic­ - that is, nonrandom - source of anomalous resemblance of dreams to target." (Ah, the incomprehensible language of pseudo-science.)

Since both hubby and I have had experience with lucid dreaming, and since we do share an odd bond (for instance, I once ordered his favourite sandwich (Reuben) at a business lunch instead of my own (Monte Cristo) -- for no apparent reason other than the thought entered my head), I think it is entirely likely that we sometimes dream in tandem. What that means is another story.

Now if you'll excuse me, after wasting an hour researching psychic phenomena and sandwich origins, I am going back to bed before the kid wakes up.

2 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

Tinfoil nightcaps for the both of you...

Unknown said...

Hehehe. Not a bad idea.

Maybe I can get some aluminum cable and knit us a pair. Want one?