15 October 2004

New Comic Tradition

Hubby has suggested, and I have agreed that Fridays shall now be New Comic Book Day in our world. Armed with $10-$15, the three of us shall each select a new comic every week. Cool. Hubby used to collect comics; I have bought comics in a random fashion over the years, often waiting for the graphic novel compilations to be released.

So in anticipation, I started looking for new releases and I think I may have found the grail. Slave Labor Publishing features the kind of artists and stories (like Lenore by Roman Dirge) that I enjoy -- most for "mature readers" (yeah, right).

The kid seems to gravitate toward Spiderman (maybe a little above her age!) and more kid-centric titles like Duck Dodgers.

No idea what Hubby will pick...

3 comments:

Sarcasmo said...

What an awesome tradition.

I recomemnd "Transmetropolitan" by Warren Ellis. The series has finished, but you can get the back issues in "graphic novel" form.

Unknown said...

Star, that title has been on my "I gotta read that sometime" list for a while... but the purpose of this tradition is to get the new single issues.

So I ended up getting Fade from Grace (I got the first two issues, because they were at cheap introductory rates of $0.99 and $1.99) from Beckett Press, created by Jeff Amano. Hubby got two issues (packaged as 2for1) of Steve Rude's The Moth and an issue of Powers. The kid got the manga adaptation of Disney's Monsters Inc. (which was in the sale bin for $5).

Sarcasmo said...

Let me know if you discover anything good. :)