10 March 2008

Looking South of the 49th Parallel and raising an eyebrow.

Why? Several things... these among them:

Barack Obama has a Twitter feed. His latest note this morning says, "In Columbus,MS & wondering how somebody who's in second place is offering the vice presidency to the person who's in first place." This makes me giggle as well as raise my brow because... well, this time the Democratic race seems to be split by age. Elder Boomers and the party elite still seem to be behind Hilary but that Obama bandwagon is overflowing with GenX and GenY types. Maybe I'm wrong there... if so, could you point me to some stats?

The LAist is concerned about Satan's Ice Cream Truck, or rather, the tune that one particular truck plays. The article provides the audio (albeit very rough and slightly garbled) and it sounds familiar to me... but I have never taken a Music Appreciation class so I can't quite put my finger on it.... Any music scholars in the audience care to take a stab at it?

New reports suggest many Americans are drinking drugs; trace amounts of a cocktail of pharmaceuticals (and likely a few illicit drugs, too) are showing up in water supplies across the states. When I first saw the teaser for the news last night, "What's in your water?" I told the TV it was urine. Unfortunately, I wasn't really far off:

So how do the drugs get into the water? Well, people take the pills, pass out what they don't absorb and flush the toilet. Wastewater is treated before it is discharged and often treated again at drinking water treatment plants but most treatments do not remove all drug residues.

Eww.

No comments: