24 August 2005

library overdues

OK. I am guilty of having overdue library books. Frequently.

At the campus library, we receive an overdue notice the day after something is due. This allows you to curse and take it back, and likely pay the fine. The public library however, is not so fast. Their policy states:

You will receive phone notification of an overdue item at 14 days and again at 28 days past the due date. The only exception to this time frame is when your material (videos, Fast Reads, Book Club Sets) is out for a short loan/ period and notification is given at 2 days past the due date.


I actually received notification last night, when my items were 7 days overdue. I thought that was HORRIBLE service, but I now see it could be worse. In the end I had at least 6 books a week overdue at 30 cents per day. Ugh. Kiddo also had 4 books overdue, but hers are charged at 10 cents per day. Guess I won't be borrowing books for a while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah... we have courtesy reminders on campus too. Thing that really bugs me is that the public library just got a brand new ILS and it *should* be complete with all the same bells and whistles, but my guess is they've been kneecapped.

I plan to write some sort of letter (explaining why they need better service). It's my thing.

In the end, my fines totalled $12.60; kiddo's another $2.40 for a total of $15 that I won't be able to spare for another week or so.