09 November 2004

Music to my Ears

I have been known to download the odd mp3, and I really miss the old MP3.com where anyone could post stuff they had recorded. As a result, I am often in search of artists, bands and labels that post full tracks (not just 30-second samples) so that you can get a feel for the music before purchasing it (and sometimes, I actually do purchase stuff). Here's some sites I have found in the past few months that meet these guidelines:

Epitonic.com has stacks and stacks of music; a lot of Electronica, but also everything from Folk to HipHop to 20th Century Composers.

Comatronic.net is " focused on distributing quality electronic music for free." The site also includes media and net culture news and links to other online labels.

Mike Errico allows (and encourages) live taping of his performances and has posted a number of songs on his site.

The Franz Ferdinand Fan Site has an extensive list of remixes, live performances, and demos to download.

The Brobdingnagian Bards have even gone so far as to grant fans a Limited License to Burn our music for free in order to spread the word. (Incidentally, I first learned of these guys through the old MP3.com)

Oh, and if loud death metal is your thing, check out Amon Amarth; there's only 3 tracks, but it's all the speed-guitar you can cram into nineteen-and-a-half minutes. (Thanks to Stallionforce for the link).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never understood "guys and guitars." Especially the dorky air guitar to Van Halen in mid-dance. Hell, one idiot even backed out of a slow dance to air-guitar mid-Stairway to Heaven.

Me, I'm all about the percussion. Drums, piano, synth, tambourine. Percussion is at the root of all of my favourite songs, across every genre which is why I can get my freak on to anything from Eminem to Hindemith.