07 November 2004

Animation Weekend

Friday was New Comic Book Day and I got issues #3 and #4 in The Witching. I am really enjoying these, probably the most of all I have read. Hubby picked up another Doom Patrol, and the kid eschewed comics in favour of a Scooby Doo figurine.

Yesterday, we went to see The Incredibles. It's been getting mixed reviews, but I think it was smart, funny, and very creative. Not only is it totally tuned in to the sci-fi gadgetry of superheroes and supervillans, but by stepping away from hyper-realistic CGI (such as the look of the upcoming Polar Express, which looks craptastic), they have given the Incredibles a very Rankin-Bass look. In fact, the supervillan looks a lot like the Heat Miser from The Year Without Santa Claus:

Overall, I really enjoyed The Incredibles, and I can see where if it is popular enough, they will do more. If you like Rankin-Bass stuff, or Pixar stuff, or Spy Kids, you'll probably enjoy this film.

2 comments:

Sarcasmo said...

I am looking forward to seeing the Incredibles.

And for the record, I loved Spy Kids!

Unknown said...

The first Spy Kids was a hoot! The others, not so much.