26 November 2004

haiku duel over salmon farming

Got an opinion on salmon farming you can sum up in 17 syllables? I've entered three haikus already (I love haiku) in The Tyee: haiku duel contest. The prizes may suck, but I just like the attention.

Here's my favourite composition so far:

War against farmed fish
seems silly fom underneath
this dill and butter.

One of my entries into Monday Magazine's Haiku-K (ie: Y2K Haiku) contest in 1999 won an honorable mention despite being improperly formed. Now of course I can't find any copy of it, but it was something gloomy along the lines of:

The last dove eaten
by the last surviving man
February thirteenth.

I know the last line was "February thirteenth" because it is 6 syllables instead of 5 making it lousy haiku, but still amusing.

If you feel like stretching your poetic muscles, go ahead and enter before December 20th.

No comments: