20 November 2004

Frugal Reno part one

Well, we were planning on renovating the kitchen, but we are going to start with giving the bathroom a facelift.

The peel-and-stick linoleum tiles are all cracked and nasty, and I managed to find 22 matching white and grey peel and stick tiles at Salvation Army yesterday for $5.99 (normally each tile is about 89 cents, so that's a big savings).

Today, I went to Victoria ReStore and picked up some paint; one can of white to replace the ugly yellow, and one can of light green to add some sponge-detail effects at the ceiling. (Paint cost: $14.82)

Other than that, I will investigate what we can do with the tub (the idiots who vacated the place seem to have literally painted the tub surface, so after the first dozen uses, the paint started to lift an peel) and if I think we can splurge, I will put in a new basin and vanity. But even if we can't reair or replace any of the fixtures, the paint and floors should really brighten the room.

1 comment:

Tim Bailey said...

Painting of the enamel fixtures usually implies that it was cheap and/or eroded using excessively corrosive and abrasive cleaning, no? I know that's what the paint-on enamel in my own bathtub denotes.

Youze guys really know how to do stuff on the cheap, without having to settle for crappy materials.