27 July 2004

Bruce Campbell makes me laugh

Bruce Campbell, B-movie King, makes me laugh a lot. I had no idea who he was when, out of the blue I was given Army of Darkness for a birthday gift a bunch of years ago. [If you haven't seen it, you simply must. It is a "cult hit" for good reasons, among them: fantastic one-liners and memorable quips, an evil twin, fighting skeletons, and a retail showdown in the aisles of S-Mart.]

Anyway, I was reading a Campbell interview/filmography in Entertainment Weekly (July 9, 2004 issue) where he is commenting on his ups and downs in B-moviedom. He comments on one film he liked because it was short, adding,
"I mean this Bored of the Rings s---? I would've cut a half hour from every single one of those films"
I laughed out loud. I would have too. I know, there are those among you who are screaming (or muttering), "Sacrilege!" but really, I found all of three of the LOTR films tedious and impossible to sit through in their entirety. On the other hand, we recently rented Bubba Ho-Tep, which had me laughing in the early part, but ultimately failed to entertain, and I couldn't sit through all of that movie, either.

No comments: