02 February 2007

File under: Who Knew?

I never really thought of onions as nutritious -- just flavourful filler -- but since kiddo is on a "I'll try that" food kick right now, I thought I would check out just what is in a serving of onions. With help from the National Onion Association (of the USA), here's what I found:

Onion Nutrition Facts
1/2 cup (80 g)
Chopped Raw Onion
Percent Daily Values*
Calories 30
Total Fat 0 0%
Cholesterol 0 0%
Sodium 0 0%
Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 6%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin C 5 mg 9%
Vitamin B6 0.1 mg 5%
Calcium 16 mg 2%
Iron 0.2 mg 1%
Folic Acid 15.2 mcg 4%
Potassium 126 mg 4%
Selenium 0.5 mcg 1%
Zinc 0.2 mg 1%

Of course normally the onions we eat are cooked (usually in oil or butter that cancells out the fat-free content) but overall, they're pretty good for ya.

In addition to deciding she likes onions (cooked), she also ate yam tempura, crab (well, imitation crab anyway), and salmon roe (in sushi) quite happily. She recently decided she likes shrimp and fish (batter fried of course), too. So is this light the end of the "really picky eater" tunnel? I sure hope so.

No comments: