30 August 2004

Overactive Sense of Morality

OK.. so a little over a year ago, I made a collage at work. It was made from much of the ephemera that had been tucked into books as page markers: postcards, stickers, notes, photos, commercial bookmarks, leaves, tickets, and other things. It was to commemorate moving into our newly rennovated digs and was part of my personal grieving process over the change. I got the "OK" from all the appropriate people... and soon after we moved, the art was hung where it could be seen by all.

Yesterday, I was heartbroken to find that someone felt the need to vandalize the art. One photo in particular had apparently offended someone. The photo shows four students, one guy in the forefront, shirtless, reclining on the lap of a woman, and two other women leaning into the photo. All the women are fully dressed, and all the subjects appear to be enjoying themselves at a party. First they placed heavy-duty stickers over the faces of the photo subjects and then they (or possibly someone else) pasted an entirely new picture (a photocopy of fluffy, doe-eyed kitties) over the defaced photo.

I don't know how long ago this happened, but it sure did tick me off... it was just the icing on the cake of a crappy, unsettling week at work. I took down the collage and it is currently somewhere safe until I can figure out how to properly restore it. Then I may have to take it home... or at least frame it behind glass.

No comments: