02 August 2007

Tooth Fairy Time....

Poor Kiddo. She's had a week of ups and downs. When I met her for lunch yesterday (my Mother in Law kindly dropped her off on campus) she was doing great until she bit into her salad roll and her tooth hurt.

"Oh," I said, "Is it loose?"

"Yes!" she said, her eyes bright and a small smile of realization... then suddenly tears.

It took me a while but after some soothing words, the promise of a special tooth pillow, and a call to Daddy, she eventually calmed down. I am not sure what she's really afraid of... but she sure was unhappy about it. She told hubby that if he saw the tooth fairy, "Tell her I want a toonie!" Ha! I think I may have to look on the internet for the Tooth Fairy Union guide which should include the regulation payment for each tooth. (Hmm, looks like I may lose that battle... but I love the way this parent deals with it.)

Of course, kiddo also thinks the Tooth Fairy recycles. When my Mother asked her what the Tooth Fairy does with all those teeth, she thought for a moment and answered,

"I think she jams them in babies' mouths when they're napping."

Anyway.... I am going to spend the rest of this evening working on a tooth pillow. Kiddo's only request was that it be purple....

pillow_in_progress

2 comments:

Shawn DeWolfe said...

Kiddo is afraid of growing up.
She may also be afraid that the tooth fairy
looks like this
:

I know I am. That's why I had all of my teeth chemically welded in place. And I have a CTEWS (CarrotTop Early Warning System).

Mrs Robot said...

Jams them in babies' mouths.., Ha ha ha ha ha!! That's pure genius.

The going rate for my sister's kids is $1 for front teeth and $2 for back teeth. I'm only just getting out of the habit of ferreting any very shiny coins away. It was always annoying when catching the bus to work: look in your pocket, have the right change but, OH NO! One of them is clearly a tooth fairy dollar! So then have to break $5 note with driver.

We were caught short once, too. Tooth fairy night and the only $1 coins we have are dull and battered, and there's not metal polish in the house. Steel wool? Not good enough. Bicarb? No. Toothpaste? Hardly touched it. So the fairy kind of let the side down that night.

Is this kiddo's first one?