13 August 2007

Fun with plastic!

Part 1:

Remember Shrinky-Dinks? (If you're over 30 you should.) They are still being manufactured (see the official Q&A), but they aren't the same as the ones from the 70s and 80s... and it can get pricey (a 10 sheet pack costs about $5). Happily, there is an alternative: #6 plastics otherwise destined for the recycle bin. I love this idea so much I blogged about it on Frugal Victoria after I spent a couple of hours testing it out! Kiddo and each I made a bunch of charms from one piece of plastic that I will use for future projects:

recycled_shrink_plastic_charms

Part 2:

LEGO fun... the Victoria LEGO Users' Group (a.k.a. VicLUG) is putting together a trailer park for an upcoming show, so I decided to get in on the fun... I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening rifling through Kiddo's bins of LEGO (I used my own baseplate... but the rest of it is her pieces) to create a little bit of mobile home goodness... here's my single-wide (with a BBQ on the patio):

LEGO Trailer Mosaic

2 comments:

Star said...

You are so Lego-talented. What eactly are #6 plastics? I love the idea of useful recycling.

Unknown said...

If you look on recyclable plastics, they should be stamped with the three arrows and a number in the middle, in this case a 6. But not all #6 plastics will work; generally it's deli containers and other clear plastics that you need to look for.

http://www.recyclenow.org/r_plastics.html