17 June 2005

Oddest Organ.

In the "you learn something every day" column, please add the factoid that the human liver is able to regrow a substantial part of itself. I find this incredibly odd. I found out from a friend whose relative recently had a large part of her liver removed. Apparently transplanted livers will also regenerate in the host's body, so in theory one liver could be split and donated to two hosts with each side regenerating to about 80% original size.

Physicians Reference Laboratory - Liver Panel

[No doubt, hubby is shaking his head that I didn't already know this.]

4 comments:

Shawn DeWolfe said...

I was told this as a preamble to me beating the crap out of my liver last year on those 6 months of antibiotics.

Unknown said...

I think we should tell kiddo. It's exactly the kind of thing she would tell strangers in the supermarket.

Tim Bailey said...

I think I might bring it up next time I'm in the meat section. Maybe I'll buy one and see if I can keep it regenerating in the fridge. I mean, I got Ernie (my mango) going...

Mrs Robot said...

I've got some vermicelli noodles growing in my fridge at the moment, so liver's worth a shot. Except it might mean you have to eat it... unless you're going into the transplant business, of course.