03 September 2005

Fitness of my Youth

Let it be known that I do not like exercise just for the sake of exercise. I can exercise in a quasi-social setting like a set of raquetball or a round of golf or, hell, even line dancing; or I can exercise with a goal -- walking to get groceries, biking to work, etc. -- but I cannot cope with aerobics, jogging, weight-training, lane swimming, or ab-rolling. I have tried all of these and failed.

I blame the long-defunct Canada Fitness Program. In the 70s and 80s, all elementary students were put through meaningless quantified tests of fitness then awarded Excellence, gold, silver, or bronze patches, or the "Participaction" pin -- the booby prize I usually earned.

Recently I came across copies of the Canada Fitness Award Manual -- the main one, and also one which includes adaptations "for use by trainable mentally handicapped youth." The thing is, the one test I invariably failed, the dreaded Flexed Arm Hang, is included in the modified one, but not in the main manual. My guess is that it was discontinued sometime before the main manual was updated (we have the 1984 edition in reference, which I presume is the most recent/last edition published). I will try to scan that baby soon and post it -- the illustrations are cheesy, so it won't be without an amusement factor.

The Canada Fitness Program got it wrong by grading kids on their performance rather than encouraging them to participate -- if everyone had been given a Participaction Pin and praised no matter what their ability, I might have actually grown up enjoying basic exercise. OK, maybe not... but by dooming me to the bottom of the heap I grew up not only disliking the exercises themselves but also those who excelled at them. I know it's not a healthy attitude but that's the core of it. ::shrug::

1 comment:

Mrs Robot said...

Oh, my... good old flexed arm hang. That was one of the indicators of worth when I was enslaved to Her Majesty's fleet. I could always do it due to the fact that I had been a buff potter before my enlistment, and so had arms like Arnie. The arm hang presented no challenge at all. This pissed the supervisors right off, because I was clearly the least fit in the entire intake yet was one of the few to pass the test first time, every time. Women always failed the arm hang, men the sit ups.

It'd be a different story for me these days, though.

Exercise for the sake of it though... I hardly think you're alone in your aversion. I went to a gym for about six months last year, but stopped going due to extreme tedium. I can only run on a treadmill with Bon Jovi blasting out of the sound system and meatheads flexing in the mirrors for so long.