29 June 2007

Morning of Dissapointments

First day of 10 off for me... and my only big break through the summer. Started with two minor disappointments...

1. We went out this morning to tour the "bioregional" school where kiddo will be spending two weeks in their summer school program. Overall, I love the concept ("open schooling" that includes gardening, hands-on science, writing, reading, akido, community exploration ... plus a few things I'm less thrilled about) and now that I've seen inside the building... I'm no longer sold on sending her there full time. Suffice to say, I'd be happy to spend more money on the camp if it were to go toward maintenance of the building itself. Two weeks should be enough of an experience for her.

This means she'll have activities a-plenty through July and more hang-time in August.

2. After the tour, I went downtown to stand in line to file our passport paperwork. I showed up just after 10:00 and soon got told that it was not gonna happen. Apparently they now hand out numbers to the first people to line up, then the rest of the people just have to hope someone doesn't come back. The security guys said usually about another half dozen (maybe up to a dozen) get through the line after all the numbers are gone; there were about 25 ahead of me. So... I walked across the street to the nearest post office and mailed them. Fingers crossed...

I had a couple more errands to run, then I mostly wandered here and there through town until I got to Chinatown where I grabbed lunch for myself and hubby and hopped the next bus home.

Now the weather has turned to crap (pelting down rain under very grey skies..) so it's just as well I'm inside.

In the meantime... here's some public poetry:

dylan_thomas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are some kids who could give a damn about what their buildings look like, but others for whom it is really important . . . I have one of each, so apapreciate your concern.

MIL just went through the passport nightmare. Not wishing to pay a streetperson to keep her place in line, she opted for the mail and it took 6 1/2 weeks.

Unknown said...

Kiddo could care less what the place looks like -- for us it's safety concerns.

The worst I've heard on the passports for people who mailed them was 8 weeks... so I expect we'll have them by the fall.