30 September 2005

Coffee, Tea, and Me

Coffee is one of my favourite substances; if you've been reading this blog or know me in person, this will not be a surprise. However, I am not a coffee snob. Aside from preferring dark, very dark, oily French roasts, I drink even the most mediocre restaurant and bar coffee from time to time.

What you may not know is that I also drink a lot of tea. I really didn't drink tea for many years because my Mom used to give me weak, milky tea when I was sick. Then I got back into tea through green tea in Japanese restaurants, and black tea with Dim Sum... then herbal teas, then gradually back to black tea with milk and sugar.

Now I know I was going somewhere with this post....

Oh yes. After reading the TEANY book a while ago, I decided I wanted to try rooibos and white tea. So the last time we were in Lifestyle markets (to buy more 5-HTP for hubby's grand experiment) I picked up some Nu-Tea Our Premium Rooibos African Chai Tea and some TRANS HERBe inc. Four O'Clock Organic Imperial White Tea.

The Rooibos Chai is quite nice. Not like the chai I am used to, but like a smooth slightly spiced tea. I still add a bit of milk but no sugar. The white tea however I didn't much like. It's sort of like a weak green tea that was vaguely-nutty. But like black tea, I prefer my green tea strong, and for a nutty tea nothing is better than a brown rice green tea blend known as genmai cha; the roasted rice often looks like popped corn and you will sometimes find this tea referred to as "popcorn tea." [We currently have Ujinotsuyu brand Genmaicha in our tea cupboard; it is splendid!]

No comments: