15 June 2004

Where do I get news?

OK, so I am an information junkie. I spend a lot of time absorbing info from all types of media, from books, radio, television, the net of course, movies, art installations, and even grafitti at the bus stop. I belong to email-lists, I check news aggregators like Realpolitik and Findory, I read blogs, and I talk to people about current events.

So how do I know what is "good news" what is a trusted source? I can't give a quick answer except that I am always skeptical, and I understand that everyone has a bias.

That said, I trust CBC and BBC much more than CNN; I read the San Francisco Chronicle closer than the Washington Post; I trust Roger Ebert to give me a clear and accurate movie review; any blog by a Librarian to point me to great new sources of information; and The Register and Slashdot to highlight major changes in technologies.

It helps that I work in a library where I can find dozens of newspapers, have free internet access, and all the books I could ever hope to read.

Sometimes finding news is tricky. Locally, we see all sorts of things going on that never make it into tv reports (we have two local stations), newspapers (one daily and two weeklies) or on the net (really, we're a smallish city, off the national radar). So sometimes, I just have to interperet hearsay or (could it be true?) actually interperet what I saw firsthand.

So where do I find news? Everywhere. I find it difficult to understand people who don't have a clue what's going on -- people who didn't realize an election had been called 48 hours after the fact, or who didn't hear about important legislation being tabled, or who missed a major natural disaster -- because I pretty much trip over this information every day.

No comments: