19 June 2004

Librarians Sailors and Patriots, OH MY!

The Canadian Library Association held their annual convention in Victoria this year, and I was lucky enough to attend. While the presence of so many liberal library types might offset the balance in this city, the Americans were kind enough to send up a naval carrier (the USS Stennis) and flood the place with young party-hungry sailors. I can't imagine what the night clubs looked like last night.

Today I attended two sessions: the first was all about Graphic Novels and why libraries need to add more to their collections; the second was about privacy issues. It touched on the PATRIOT act (which I now know actually stands for something: "Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism")and it started to make me think... about why I get pissed off about America's superiority complex, about international law in general, about privacy versus confidentiality, rights versus freedoms, and so on.

No comments: