26 August 2005

Now I really want a Volvo*....

...or some other sturdy diesel vehicle, just so I can convert to using Biodiesel. The City of Victoria seems to be seriously embracing the concept with a pilot project in conjunction with several commercial fleets including BCTransit. Nifty.

If you haven't heard of it, biodiesel is created by refining fats and oils such as canola oil -- to remove glycerin which in turn can be used to make soap. In fact, if I had a garage, I might start making my own biodiesel (and soap).

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

This is really interesting, I had no idea about all this... might have to go the grochery store to fill up the cars, I suppose! Haha.

Shawn DeWolfe said...

The best parts of bio-diesel:
a) it's made from excess chip oil and the like. For the first time ever, McDonald's would be making the world a better place
b) while money from gas sales goes to fund terrorism; bio-diesel money can stay here, near the chip-bloated masses.
c) it takes a small operation to turn grease into fuel. Several campuses (including UBC) are doing it to fuel campus vehicles. In other words, you could have a mom'n'pop fuel manufacturer who could thumb their nose at Big Oil and OPEC.

Unknown said...

Stefanie: It's not quite that simple -- though apparently some cars can be modified to run on "SVO" (straight vegetable oil).

I was also "giggling" over the fact that one of the main emissions is NOx (nitrogen oxide) until I figured out that it is not actually laughing gas (which is N2O or Dinitrogen Monoxide).

Mike: I know! And I wouldn't mind being one of those mom'n'pop fuel folks. Especially if it meant, get in now, get bought out by ESSO later. :)