28 November 2005

Books as Art - Good Light

Thomas Allen's work literally jumps off the page. He carefully cuts people from the covers and pages of books and lifts them away to make 3D pieces which are beautiful, especially if you appreciate pulp art and don't mind seeing such a book mutilated in the name of art.

Read more (and see pictures):
The Virginia Quarterly Review - Good Light
Foley Gallery - Thomas Allen, Uncovered
Augsberg College - Cover to Cover

Allen is a fine art instructor at Augsberg College.

4 comments:

Mrs Robot said...

Oh, wow, they really are gorgeous! And clever. I can tell when something is gorgeous and clever by the wave of artistic jealousy that surges. Talented, creative bastard.

Seriously, I love it.

Unknown said...

hehehe. I had similar thoughts.

"Oh gosh! Those are amazing!" followed by "Why didn't I think of that?"

OTOH, he doesn't seem to be wildly rich and famous yet... so they can't be "all that" to the art world at least. ;)

Thomas Allen said...

You guys are very funny! Check out Foley Gallery again to see the new work. The show opened last week to a huge crowd!

Another show opens at the Univeristy of St. Francis in Ft. Wayne, IN on January 27th.

Thanks for the banter about my work. I'm humbly flattered! Watch for my book this fall. It's titled, UNCOVERED and is being released world-wide by Aperture.

Does this push me into the "all that" category now?

Tom Allen

Unknown said...

Well, hello there! I never said you weren't "all that" in my books! I will most certainly look for your book... that... uh... shows reconfigured books. :)

Congrats on the well-received opening, and good luck with the book release.